Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Just a Mom.

A couple of my friends shared this blog post on Facebook today:  The Biggest Lie Moms Believe. I've read similar things like this before but for some reason this one really got to me. (If you have just a couple of minutes..read it first..then come back..it's short!)

I literally almost had tears in my eyes after reading it. I guess the Lord knew I needed to read that today. I haven't really even had a difficult day but she said exactly what I needed to hear. I've always known I wanted to be a stay at home mom. Yes, there were other professions I wanted to do. I wanted to be a teacher for a while. I then changed my major to Psychology in college and thought I'd like to be a Marriage and Family therapist someday. That still sounds appealing to me, but there's also the part of having to do more school and I quickly rethink that (I really dislike school). When I met Justin and we began discussing marriage and kids, I told him I would love to stay at home once we had children and he was fully supportive of that, in fact he encourages it (God knew what He was doing when He put us together). After we had Luke, I had been teaching at this private school in Forrest City (we lived in Wynne at the time). I had signed a contract, so I had to still teach until the school year was over. That was one of the hardest 3 months of my life...really. I would get up almost every morning and cry and cry because I wanted to be home with my baby. The last thing I wanted to do was go and spend my day with a bunch of kids....sorry it's true. It hurt Justin that I couldn't stay home, but we just could not afford for me to do that at the time. I knew for a fact then that my job was to be home with my children and there was no profession that was going to make me happy besides that one.

Once I got to stay home with Luke, it was wonderful. Was everyday wonderful...of course not. Is everyday wonderful now? No way. But I love it. I can't imagine dropping my children off with someone else or at a daycare everyday. I know I am doing what the Lord has called me to do by staying home with them. But there are days where I feel like what this article says. "I'm just a Mom" I feel that way whenever I see someone I haven't seen in awhile and they ask me what I do. I say I stay at home with my kids...and I get the "oh good for you" response. In some cases I'm sure they mean it...but most are thinking that's it...you went to college for 4 years and are still paying for it but you stay at home (I'm exaggerating there...that's usually what goes through my mind) And today I guess that's what most people would think. It's becoming more and more uncommon for Moms to stay at home (just like it is for Mom's to have more than one child...but I could go on and on about that!) I know there are circumstances where you just can't and some Mom's really just are not made to do that and that's totally fine! I have full respect for the women who can work all day and come home and take care of their family and somehow  make dinner and get their house clean..it wears me out just thinking about it! That's great! If you're a Mom and you're thinking of staying at home, don't not do it because you are worried about what people will think...trust me the reward is much greater! Staying at home and taking care of my children is what I do and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm so glad I read this today. I hope it brings some encouragement to someone else as well.



In God’s upside down Kingdom, moms are the logical solution to change the world. We serve on our knees, cleaning up boy bathrooms. We bend low scooping up toys and messes.
You there, changing your 6th diaper of the day while you watch your 4 year old daughter change her clothes again, and your son searching the couch cushions for change—your day-in-and-day out service to your family is life-changing.
Mom, you saying yes, right where you are–that makes you a world changer.
This is the truth we need to believe.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I've realized that too Katherine! I wish we still lived close to you guys and we could come over for play dates again. :)

      Delete